Rambles & Run-ons: NOW WITH 100% MORE PASSENGERS!

Our Lives Have Changed. So has our blog.
We realize that many of you first started reading when we began a cross-country road trip in June of '09. Just ten months later we are proud to announce the arrival of our twins. No road trips planned just yet, but there are a slew of adventures around every corner.

Homecoming (part 1 of 2) Monday, 4/26



What a great day!
Mandy started the day by visiting Oneta Simone in Anaheim, and a big thanks to Rob's Mama for chauffeuring. She was so alert and curious today! She was awake for almost two hours, swapping stories with Grandma and taking in the environment. When Grandma decided she was in need of some coffee, Mandy took over. Secluded behind the green plastic screens the two of them read the new English translation of Simone de Beauvoir's Second Sex until it was time for a diaper change. She's taking a bit more food by gavage but still no poop (how does that work, I wonder), and so they were set to give her another glycerin suppository today. Good news for her is that she is being transferred back to Irvine this evening!! We're so happy to have her so nearby again and under the careful eyes of the nurses we have come to trust and admire there (Rob says that they are almost like aunties at this point).
***UPDATE***
Late this evening I paid a visit to make sure her transfer to Irvine went smooth and she was comfortable. I was just in time for a diaper change, and I'm excited to report a (whopping) poop!
She weighed 5 pounds 7.7 ounces and looked great. She was intent on holding on to my finger while I held her, and she soon drifted into sleep as I sang her Zeppelin's "Going to California" and "Tangerine."
  *************

It's an electric feeling being able to bring your baby home from the NICU. A great sense of relief, joy, pride, excitement...and many more emotions that are just too overwhelming to pinpoint. It's still so difficult because for each happy moment we share with Robert here we think of Oneta and her being alone at the hospital.

As you can see he is still a small guy, just 4 lb. 12 oz. The car seat looks enormous surrounding his little body!


Mandy enjoying some time at HOME with her son, who has been breastfeeding with great success!

He misses his sister - I almost wish he was still in the hospital so they could be together and he could 'show her the ropes.' I believe that the twins are better when they are together, although they've been separated since birth so I don't know where I get this.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on bring little Robbie home. That is so exciting for you. You have a strength I just don't think I could muster to leave my babies behind at the hospital.

    However, and I hope this doesn't offend you... it would probably be better if you read your babies childrens books. They have been written especially to childrens learning abilities and levels.

    I love you all and can't wait to meet your babies.

    ReplyDelete